Writer. Fighter. Lover. Dreamer. The doctor's say she's generally functional.

Monday, January 11, 2010

submarine

While looking for a book to read that would be a fun, easy read after the intensity of 100 Years of Solitude, I decided on Submarine, a book I picked up at the Penguin book sale for just $5, mainly because it has a nice cover.

It's funny, it really is, and I'm glad I picked this one. I've read mixed reviews on it but personally, I'm falling for Oliver, the 15-year-old kid in Wales who puts me to shame with his impressive vocabulary. Kinda like Adrian Mole (but so much cooler) meets Catcher in the Rye. Salinger purists can calmly put their weapons down, it's true that Oliver's observations and emotional outlook remind me of Holden Caulfield, not to mention his I'm-too-goddamn-smart-for-everything attitude.

Nice work, Joe Dunthorne, never mind that it's your first book and you were only 26.
If you can, maybe I can too.

Random funny quote: "Nnngh," he grunts while getting his balance. This is no time for vowels.

No comments:

Post a Comment