Writer. Fighter. Lover. Dreamer. The doctor's say she's generally functional.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Bangkok!

So I'm in Bangkok.
Arrived today at 2.20pm, queued for Immigration for an HOUR and for the first time in my adventures had someone waiting for me at the airport with a sign.

Was brought to the Asian Relief Foundation centre for the Peace & Conflict Transformation course. The goal is 'to create a new generation of peace workers, peace negotiators and peace defenders'. That line alone excites the hell outta me. I met people from all over the world - India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, China, Russia, Nepal, Indonesia, Cambodia, Thailand, Afghanistan and more. It's wonderful to meet so many like-minded individuals from all over the world.

I had a chat with a guy from Cambodia where I threw in a few Khmer words (thank you. how are you/I'm fine, and I'm sorry are a few that i remember) and then spoke to a guy from China whose name is Xiao Xiao. Small? I said, but he laughed and said no, Smile! He then asked (in Mandarin) if I wanted to eat (I said no, thanks) and how I was (very well, thanks, i replied). He was quite thrilled.

He asked if I was on facebook (in English)and shortly after his face fell at the recollection that he can't access it anymore. I was saddened to hear that not only can people in China not access Google, AND youtube, now it's facebook as well.

There's no place for everyone at the centre so some of us got shipped off to an apartment which I'm very pleased about as there's free WiFi. Yay!

Tomorrow awaits.

No comments:

Post a Comment