Writer. Fighter. Lover. Dreamer. The doctor's say she's generally functional.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Day #3 is as over as it is whelming

It's very comforting to return to my room at the end of each day, ready and waiting with all its internet wonders. It's a basic room but anything with air-conditioning and hot water is a luxury. I miss my hole-in-the-wall Same Same Guest House to no end!

Had some very interesting lessons today. We talked about conflict and power, and to demonstrate conflict we formed groups and had to categorise a list of things into needs and wants. (Later it was revealed to be an exercise to recognise conflicts that would undoubtedly arise. Clever.)Anyway, first thing that comes to my mind is Maslow's Hierarchy, but I didn't bring it up as there's sometimes a language barrier even when discussing simple things (English isn't a first language for many of them).

After questions like whether relationships are needs or wants come up, I simply can't hold back any longer and say ermmmm y'know, there's this theory................ and to my delight Dave from Burma (he's actually Australian) says, Maslow's! I think he'd been trying to argue relationships as a need while, like me, avoiding psychological theories.

I was tasked with presenting our conclusion (we managed to agree on the basic needs from the given list - 1.air 2. water 3. food 4. shelter) and I briefly went into our need for love, belonging and self-actualisation. Fortunately Ekraj (our Thai course organiser who looks just like Sylar from Heroes) introduced Mr. Maslow and his theory later on.

Someone innocently asked where "making love" (Flight of the Conchords - It's Business Time!) is placed in the hierarchy and I said that it would come under Love/Belonging in the form of intimacy. But also, in the hierarchy, sex comes under the first level of basic needs. I'm sure Maslow's much smarter than I am but I fail to see how someone deprived of food, water and air, might say, "Oh dear, I'm starving, I'm dehydrated and dying of thirst and I'm suffocating. Also, I really need to get laid."

I'm also sure Maslow's a man.

Headed out to Bangkok City in the evening, packed liked sardines in the back of a pick-up. I think I should have told everyone that I've never travelled anywhere in my life and am terrible with directions, and with bargaining at markets. Unfortunately I spent all my shopping time giving tours of a place I've never been to, giving fashion advice (yes that one's good. That one? Yeah kinda looks like someone's great-grandmother's curtains, but maybe that's just me. No, I wouldn't wear a shirt that looks like it has a severely distressed but cuddly cat emerging from its pocket. I'm sure, I really wouldn't.) and lending my bargaining skills here and there. I tried to get out of it, I really did.

I was so upset I indulged in a 30-second (all the time I had) reckless shopping spree where I bought a tank top with cobwebs (not real ones) on it for 90baht (SG$4). I later bought 3 very cool things which must be unmentioned as one is a secret present.

The journey was terrible and it seemed quite ridiculous to travel so far (about 2 hours due to some complications) to shop for 1.5 hours, and literally less than 5 minutes of that was spent on myself. Ah well. There's always next time.

Zomg it's almost 3 and I have to be up at 7. Pictures shall be added later today.

1 comment:

  1. you seem to be holding your own very well despite being the youngest there!!! Thats my girlie :-)

    ReplyDelete