Writer. Fighter. Lover. Dreamer. The doctor's say she's generally functional.

Thursday, December 10, 2009

a few of my favourite things

There are some days that are awesome because of an accumulation of small things. Yesterday was one of those days.

Am doing some freelance work at the moment, it's for the National Library Board and is all about music in Singapore from the 40s till today and I've been tasked to write 2 of the profiles that will go into this project. Which is great coz it's about music and it pays well (perhaps this will make up for the money I owe NLB in fines).

So I've been spending a lot of time at Starschmucks, drinking coffee that's too expensive, coz that's where I get a lot of work done. It's probably a mental conditioning from school days. Sit at Starbucks with laptop = do lots of work. It made me miss Black Star in Brisbane. The coffee there was $3 and there was always new art on the wall and you could help yourself to huge bottles of really cold water from the fridge and there was once a guy walking around barefoot, collecting flowers, and when I smiled at him, he gave me one. I pressed it and still have it in my notebook.

Anyway.

I was rushing to meet a really tight deadline and was getting really out of the zone. And then I see Shaun walk by! I wasn't sure if it was him coz he has this cool haircut with shaved sides but I sent him a text and indeed it was him.

So he came to provide a welcome distraction to me, gave Redzman a call and then there were 3. After about 7 hours there, I was finally done and we went for a beer at a place called Sidewalk Tavern. And they had Pure Blond! First time I've had/seen it here. Yay Aussie beer.

While at Starbucks the boy gave me an unexpected call just to see how my day was going. =)

If only more guys realised, or realised more often, how simple it all really is!

Got home, gave him a proper call, sent my article off and headed out to meet the girls and we sat around till the wee hours talking about all kinds of secrets.

It did make me a little sad that they talked about many things I didn't follow - but that's my own fault for travelling all the time. I realised I haven't spent more than 3 months in 1 country at a stretch for the whole of this year. And that was because it was the start of the year and I was saving up to travel.

Was asked by youth.sg to write a review of a play for them but it was last night - and I had my article to finish, unfortunately, coz it was something I really wanted to do. But they were kind enough to get me a pass for another day so I can go. Yay!

So yes, lets of little things that made me very happy indeed.

After a while, you just want to be with the one that makes you laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment